Tuesday, June 15, 2010

My first date with Hp

The onset of the day was the mundane outbreak, fighting sleep and trying not to be late for office. No portents whatsoever of anything. Morning went off as casually as any other boring day.
It went on until what became a little exciting. Myself with Avinash and Hp tried fixing up a program for the evening. It was a Friday and perfect for an evening movie. Poor program had to bend and twist according to Avinash’s whims. He always does that, until we found out that there was no program finally. Real dismay. Doubly.

When I reached my place, a part of me wasn't at all willing to go back home. Hp called at that very moment, so I asked him to drop by NFC and meet me. "NO" that’s all he said. That’s Hp anyway. I begged, pleaded and requested, a decade’s effort, almost. "NO" that was his answer still. He didn’t find any of my reasons to meet up sensible enough. I even told him I was looking good that day. He was so amused he hung up.

I remember climbing the stairs dragging my feet. Hp called and he agreed to see me. A genuine wish was being answered. One slap of surprise but nevermind, it was a good one. I could see myself grinning from the sulk I had. The wait seemed forever. It took ages, I thought. And I got late. I was thinking you see.

He was at the magazine stall, in front of Barista. A sleek chap, unkempt and all shabby, and too tired for a date, heh. But he was there, and stood, not tall but okay types. The moment we met, he tried emphasizing on what a feat it was to come over, and that I should be grateful. A deaf ear to that. Nothing mattered, except that he was around. He’s crazy, but I like it that way. We sat somewhere, I don’t remember where, and my yapping started. He was mean, that’s nothing new, and he wasn’t listening an iota. A deaf ear he is, when it’s my general narration.

We were walking, talking, sitting and eating. Yea, we had something too. I remember his hot chocolate fudge; he made a mess outta it. With me going hysterical over the minutest dirt anywhere, it was funny how he was having it. I also couldn't help noticing how his shoe laces opened rather too often, and he didn't even bother. Damn!
Time flew a little more; I never heard its wings flap though. Nao called to remind me that they were waiting for me for dinner at home. I didn’t want to miss it. And I made folks wait. Sigh. But I wait for them too. Only the special ones for that.

I shared a mini-dinner with Hp, he chewed and chomped whatever was infront. He ate messy, and for the fact that I’m extremely particular, do you think I made an attempt not to notice that. That’s a clandestine effort, if there was any. No point pointing it out given his give-a-damn attitude.

I could see that he was drained of energy, his eyelids drooping now and then, yawning at the peak of my narration’s excitement. He had a hard day, perhaps. But then, my day was no different. He just needed an excuse. Huh! But it was a sweet gesture, especially because it was Hp. He doesn’t pay heed to any of my impulsive, whimsical enterprises and considers them not so bright. And what touches me most is how he listens. But mind you, not always, not once in a blue moon but say…purple moon; it doesn’t come as easy as it sounds. But it’s simply amazing. The one time makes up for all the earlier 118 denials.

Soon after dinner, we took a stroll around too. We talked about everything under the sun. Not really, it was night time, ‘…under the moonlit sky’ would be more apt. We talked about trivialities, daily annals, which made no sense but somewhere echoed profundity. I am not trying to justify transcendentalism here. There were no reasons, but enough reasons to be happy. Smiles floated easily. Friendships can be so beautiful. And how we connect!

I asked for a rickshaw ride, to which he agreed. But somehow, it didn’t shape up. It would have been really nice. Reminds me how I used to drag poor Pintu during chilled winter nights for my crazy whims. I remembered Tutu’s line...change is the only constant thing and saw time fleeting away with my memories. Snap, wake up!

But I was having a splendid time. It couldn’t have been any better. I wore a smile, or was that an ear to ear grin, sub-consciously? It was reflex happiness talking. We walked back and he left soon. He found it funny with my idea of sending me a text once he reaches home. Never mind again, he is reckless. He’s rude, he calls me aged, and he calls me ugly. He makes me cry. I don’t care. I adore him still. He sent a text though. Then, I was doubling dinner. I didn’t want to disappoint my folks too. I sound like a diplomat.

The feel good factor harbored. I know I have to come to terms. Accidental dates with hp. They ain’t gonna come often. Wishful thinking.
It was 24th November, 2006. It was a Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment